Conceiving multiples is may well be an act of fate but this doesn’t mean that there is nothing you can do to improve your chances of having multiples. There are certain factors that influence the conception of twins but none have been proven scientifically. Here are some things you can try to increase your chances of conceiving twins:
• Folic acid supplement: Some studies have linked folic acid to the chances of conceiving twins. According to an Australian study, there is a chance of 40% or greater that you will conceive twins if you have taken folic acid around the time of conception. There have been other studies showing contradictory results which cast doubt on the actual affect of folic acid. Nevertheless, folic acid has been proven to prevent neural tube defects so it is recommended to take folic acid supplements or a multi vitamin with folic acid when trying to conceive.
• Gain weight: according to Obstetrics & Gynecology study published in March 2005 found that overweight women had a higher chance of conceiving twins. It also found that taller women had a better chance of having multiples.
• Dairy products: Scientists led by Dr. Gary Steinman from Medical Center physician, Long Island Jewish found that women who included dairy in their diet were five times more likely to have twins than those who didn’t. Based on the study, vegans were less likely to conceive twins. But this could be a result of having dairy products from cows treated with growth hormone.
• Breastfeeding: If you want to conceive twins and are breastfeeding then you could hold off on weaning your child. According to another study on twins, women who conceived when they were breastfeeding are nine times more likely to have multiples when compared to women who were not breastfeeding.
• Birth control pills: When a woman stops using birth control pills, her body tries to regulate hormone production on its own. Using the pills for more than six months would require her body to adjust hormones after a cycle or two. This leads to extra hormone stimulation causing the too many eggs being released by the ovaries during the first cycle or two. So the first cycle or two right after you quit the pill is an ideal time to try conceiving twins.
• Age and pregnancy: Older women are more likely to give birth to twins. Women aged 45 and above have a chance of 17%, but their fertility rate is lower so it is not the best idea. Older women produce more follicle stimulating hormone or FSH; during ovulation this hormone directs the ovaries to start maturing an egg. The increase in FSH production could cause over stimulate older women and result in more eggs being released; thus, improving the chances of multiples.
Author: If you want more information about Health please visit THIS SITE right now.